Posted by & filed under Immigration.

In this blog, we have covered a few reasons why you might enter the country for temporary employment or education purposes, as well as seeking permanent residency. What about coming to the United States temporarily without the intent to live here? Would you still need a visa for that?

According to the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs, you would need a visitor visa for a short-term visit to the country. This type of visa might allow you to visit anywhere between a few weeks to several months, depending on the reason for your stay. The two main types of visitor visas are for business purposes, or for tourism and visiting.

Business Visas

You would apply for the B-1 visitor visa if your purpose for coming to the country is strictly business-related. For example, you might need to meet with business partners, associates or clients here. You could be attending a multinational conference or seminar, or need to be here to go over the terms of a contract.


The B-2 tourism visa almost speaks for itself, but there are additional reasons to seek this visa besides going on vacation. You might be here to visit family members or friends who live in America. You could be an amateur musician or athlete participating in a competition for which you are not being paid as a professional. Or you might be here for a few weeks or months to receive medical treatment.

To receive a visitor visa, you must be able to prove that you have the funds to support your stay, and that you plan to return to your residence in your home country when your stay is over. You can learn more about immigrant and nonimmigrant topics in New York by calling the Manchanda Law Office today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *