What Does Adjustment of Status Mean?

If you are in the United States as a temporary legal immigrant or nonimmigrant visitor, you might want to change your status to permanent residency. This process is called adjustment of status, and is convenient for immigrants because it allows them to apply for a green card without having to leave the U.S. to return to their home country and then begin the process all over again.

What are some examples in which you might want to apply for an adjustment of status? One of the most common ways to do this is changing your residency definition while you are working or in school in the U.S. You may have obtained a visa to work temporarily for an American employer, or you could be earning your college degree here. For many reasons, you might want to live in the U.S. on a permanent basis or even pursue citizenship.

Another reason to adjust your status is marriage. If you married a U.S. citizen, you do have the right to stay in the country, but adjusting your status to legal permanent residency can offer additional protections and assist you on the road to citizenship. Or, if you have a tourist visa for visiting purposes and wish to stay in the country for a longer period of time, an adjustment of status is one option you can consider. This can be especially beneficial if the reason for your stay is to receive medical treatment, and you find out that your treatment needs to extend past the time your visitor visa allows – or you need to seek employment to cover your bills.

There are many other reasons for immigrants to apply for an adjustment of status, as well as reasons that your request might be denied. Because immigration law can be complex, contact the Manchanda Law Office if you need legal assistance with any immigration issue.


Temporary Nonimmigrant Reasons for Coming to the U.S.

In this blog, we have covered a few reasons why you might enter the country for temporary employment or education purposes,

Read More



“Sir thank you so much ! for your efforts and giving me this update. It’s been 2 half years suffering without my son.. came here 15 yrs. Ago immigrants become legal citizen . I follow law. I have done nothing wrong in this country they stripped all our rights.. break my family apart .. so painful sir. Thank you for helping me answer my prayers sir God be with you .”

“Thank you, Rahul. I feel so lucky to work with you. Have a good night.”

Thank you everybody yes – yesterday I got receipts…God bless you everybody.

Obedient Regards,

“Since I have been dealing with the Manchanda Law Office And Associates PLLC, I feel very good that my case is being followed up on each day. I am getting weekly updates of letters, and of your contacts, and I’m being included in possible strategy which I feel is good… You have shown great determination to help me with this matter and you have always been sincerely professional and always helpful.” – Ruel Hanley, Staten Island New York

“I appreciate very much your legal representation and thank you for representing my case personally.” – Dr. Sanga Kothapa, Santa Ana California

“Rahul, I appreciate your work on my case. Thankful for the very well prepared drafts…Also thanks for suggesting me in some good directions. Thanks.” – Naveenkumar C., Talahassee Florida

“Mr. Manchanda did a fantastic job! To carry the ball for hours like that was remarkable. Must be a great advocate.” – Kelly (McLean, VA)

“It was a very good experience to have an Attorney-Client relationship with your esteemed law firm. Thanks and highest regards.” – Muhammad Tariq, New York, New York

“Your Excellency Mr. Rahul Manchanda, I was so impressed by the way you handled my case. I am % satisfied by not only on the resolution but also on the process…I wish you all the best.” – Ermias, New York, New York

  • Fox News Lawyer
  • CNN
  • Newsweek
  • Nancy Grace
  • CourtTV
  • NewsMax Lawyer
shopify visitor statistics